As a member of Pitt’s legal team, Derek serves as an advisor to the university and its Board of Trustees. He focuses his practice on commercial transactions, corporate governance, policy drafting and analysis, and regulatory compliance. Prior to joining the university, Derek worked as a corporate associate at international law firms in Pittsburgh, PA.
During law school, Derek served as Editor-in-Chief of the University of Pittsburgh Law Review, and was teaching and research assistant for Cyber Law, Policy & Security with Professor David Hickton and American Constitutional Law with Professor Jon Pushinsky. Derek also worked for LegalSifter, a Pittsburgh-based artificial intelligence startup that uses AI to automate certain legal tasks, reduce the cost associated with providing legal services, and empower attorneys to be more efficient with their time.
Active in his community, Derek serves on the Board of Trustees of the Unitarian Universalist Church of the South Hills; Strategic Planning Committee for Carlynton School District; as Vacancy Chair for the Borough Council of Rosslyn Farms; and as a member of the Allegheny County Bar Association, Pennsylvania Bar Association, American Bar Association, Pittsburgh Venture Capital Association, and National Association of College and University Attorneys.
Areas of PracticeCorporate Governance, Board of Trustees, Commercial Transactions, Licensing, Regulatory Compliance, Policy
- Pennsylvania State University, B.S. in Elementary Education (2010)
- University of Alaska, M.Ed. in Educational Leadership (2013)
- University of Pittsburgh, J.D., cum laude (2019)
- Member, Allegheny County Bar Association
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Pittsburgh Venture Capital Association
- Member, National Association of College and University Attorneys
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- P: 412-624-6606
- F: 412-624-1146